Friday, April 1, 2011

March Recap

I added 27 species to my year's list in March but fell a little short of my target. The weather cooperated with just 8.6 inches of snow for the month, and trips south brought Burrowing Owl and Barn Owl as well as the lifer LeConte's Thrasher. I had forgotten that March also meant allergies and so days outdoors were usually followed by days of suffering indoors! Nevertheless I am happy with 184 species.

Common Moorhen
Pied-billed Grebe
Snowy Egret
Abert's Towhee

I also ended the first quarter with 14 mammals - Striped Skunk, Coyote, Gunnison's Prairie Dog, Rock Squirrel, Roundtail Ground Squirrel, Cliff Chipmunk, Tassel-eared (Abert's) Squirrel, Arizona Gray Squirrel, Blacktail Jackrabbit, Desert Cottontail, Javelina, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Pronghorn  and 2 herps - Tree Lizard and Chorus Frog. So my quarterly tally is exactly 200 species!

April will be a busy work month but the summer birds will be arriving and I should be able to add several to my list without a lot of effort. My end-of-month target is 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment