Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Prescott

Following the cancellation of the plan to go to Lake Havasu, on Saturday February 1st my wife and I decided to go to Prescott instead. We took the opportunity to stop at Lake Montezuma on the way down to look for the Eastern Bluebirds that had been seen a few days earlier. We were in luck and found 3 of this species in the trees by the duck feeding area. The ducks included a tame Snow Goose and four non-countable Egyptian Geese!

The next stop was at Montezuma Well where I had hoped to get both wrens but although the Rock Wren did not cooperate I found a few Brewer's Sparrows along with the Canyon Wren.

We then headed to Willow Lake in Prescott and were able to spot the Tundra Swan before we got out of Fanta. We wandered down towards the lake and enjoyed lots of ducks and a Northern Harrier. But we had given up on the White-tailed Kite before asking a local (Ryan) who took us straight to the bird perched closer to homes and away from the lake itself.

Our final stop of the day was at Watson Lake where after some searching we were able to find a pair of Hooded Merganser. Sadly while heading back to the car I lost the eyepiece of my Nikon Prostaff spotting scope although I did not notice it was missing until we were back in Flagstaff.

No comments:

Post a Comment