Monday, December 28, 2015

Chongqing, China

On Wednesday December 16th I arrived in Chongqing for a few days on NAU business. That afternoon I only found European Tree-Sparrow and White Wagtail, but I had more luck on Thursday morning with Brown Shrike and White-browed Laughingthrush.

White Wagtail
White-browed Laughingthrush


I then took a detour on way to my office on Friday afternoon and found flocks of Light-vented (Chinese) Bulbul and White-rumped Munia. I also saw a couple of blackbirds, which did not excite me much. But entering data into eBird I found that Chinese Blackbird had been split from Eurasian Blackbird, and so this was a life bird!

Light-vented Bulbul
White-rumped Munia 
On Saturday December 19th, two graduate students - Amy 'Little Fish' and Ching-ting - took me to see the UNESCO World Heritage site at Dazu. This place, with a museum and a series of buddhist cave sculptures was fantastic and was situated high up in the clouds about an hour from Chongqing, but it was not very birdy. However a stop for lunch near some pools yielded Daurian Redstart, Little Egret and Common Kingfisher.

Common Kingfisher
Little Egret

No comments:

Post a Comment