Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Meteor Crater RV Park and Babbitt Tank (again)

Jason found a Rufous-backed Robin at the Meteor Crater RV park on Sunday October 30th and I went out there later that day and scoured the campground to no avail in very high winds.

The bird was still being reported on Friday and so I headed out east of town on Saturday November 5th. I left early hoping to find longspurs coming into Babbitt Tank although it had rained on Thursday and Friday. But the tank had indeed lost its attraction. I did see some meadowlarks including at least one Eastern Meadowlark, but otherwise had a single Savannah Sparrow, a Loggerhead Shrike and some flyover ravens to show for my stop.

I reached the RV park around 8:30 and entered the property with Chip. It took us about 20 minutes to find the Rufous-backed Robin in the trees at the back. The only other bird new for me at this location was a Sage Thrasher.

Rufous-backed Robin

Sage Thrasher

No comments:

Post a Comment