Monday, June 4, 2018

Tucson trip


I had to present at an after school workshop on Friday April 6th, and so I drove down on Thursday evening and spent a long morning out and about. The first stop was (of course) Paton's where the Violet-crowned and Broad-billed Hummingbirds did not disappoint, and had luck with many summer birds - Black-headed Grosbeaks, Bullock's Orioles, Plumbeous Vireos, Lucy's Warblers, Green-tailed Towhees and other things that would make their way towards Flagstaff soon,


Green-tailed Towhee

I continued around the loop and stopped at Santa Gertrudis Lane on the look out for Rufous-backed Robins and Ruddy-Ground Doves along the De Anza Trail. But I wasn't quite sure exactly where to look and dipped on both. It was also getting hot, and I passed on stopping to try for the Rose-throated Becard, which is notoriously tough.

On Saturday April 7th I started the day at Madera Canyon, taking my favorite hike from Proctor Road to the Kubo and back. I found the usual birds in the usual places - Bell's Vireos at Proctor, Wild Turkeys at the Lodge - and an Arizona Woodpecker just along the road - and a Rivoli's Hummingbird at the Kubo. I didn't have time to head to the Carrie Nation trail because I had tickets for the opera in Phoenix, and it was really too hot on my short stop at Sweetwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment