Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Santa Teresa County Park

On Friday April 20th I went to the far side of Santa Teresa County Park, by Calero Reservoir following a number of excited posts on the listserve regarding a Calliope Hummingbird.

When I arrived there were a couple of people who had seen the bird, and others looking. In the first hour the bird did not return but I had seen a Rufous Hummingbird go by. I was reminded that Grasshopper Warblers were along the fence line at the top of the slope and I was able to add that species, as well as (a singing) Horned Lark and some Lark Sparrows to my list. Coming back down I ran into a couple from San Francisco and eventually the Calliope Hummingbird came along and gave us close views. That gave me a total of five new county birds for the morning, and took me over the magic 200.

On Saturday April 21st, my wife and I took a late afternoon hike at the Coyote Valley Open Space Reserve. It wasn't particularly birdy but we saw a Western Kingbird as we started off from the car park, and a couple of cooperative Rock Wrens when we returned. We saw a Ring-necked Snake and a Western Black-headed Snake on the 4-mile loop.

Rock Wren
Western Kingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment