Saturday, October 21, 2017

Reno and Lake Tahoe

On Thursday October 12th I flew to Reno, NV to join my wife who had been attending a meeting there since Tuesday. When her meeting ended at noon on Friday 13th we walked along the Riverwalk in Reno before heading down to South Lake Tahoe, California.

We stopped for a short hike at a state park, and then along the western edge of lake looking for Black-billed Magpie without any luck. But then found the bird sitting atop a lamp post as we drove along the highway!

I had a few targets for Saturday 14th and got the first one while heading to and from breakfast! Clark's Nutcrackers were calling and one obligingly flew over me as I returned to the room. My wife and I headed to Taylor Creek to see the salmon run and hoping to see Black Bear or Mink feeding on the fish which die after spawning. No luck there but it was an interesting place, but crowded with people. We had missed the peak time - the last weekend in September would have been better - but still got to see the bright red fish at the end of their lives with Common Mergansers after the fish and Mallards after their eggs. We then took a side trail away from the crowds and I added Mountain Chickadee, Hairy Woodpecker and Red-breasted Nuthatch as California year birds. Our next stop was at the DL Bliss State Park along the shore of Lake Tahoe where we went on a lovely hike in the pines and firs, with manzanita on the under storey, and  the lake to one side; but this was not at all birdy.

Lodgepole ? Chipmunk

A big surprise was another Black-billed Magpie on a lamp post as we headed back. A short stop at Fallen Leaf Lake delivered White-headed Woodpecker, the last of my reasonable targets for the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment