Thursday, June 23, 2011

First Day at Kaeng Krachan

Friday 17th began in exciting style when I saw my first ever pitta – a Blue Winged Pitta – from a purposeful hide built close to a nest. The rest of the morning was pretty bleak as it rained steadily the whole time and we saw few birds as we visited the lower elevation part of Kaeng Krachan National Park. The rain continued into the afternoon but the day was saved by visiting know nest sites of Black-naped Monarch, White-browed Piculet, Black-backed Kingfisher and Dusky Broadbill.   The latter was my 7th broadbill species, completing the set for S.E. Asia. We did well owling in the evening adding two species to the diurnal Collared Owlet seen earlier in the day and also included a stone curlew. I added 18 trip birds, all new for the year to reach 429 or the year. I added another 11 lifers to get to 82 for the year.

Black-winged Stilt
Spotted Owlet
Eurasian Thick-knee
Green-eared Barbet

No comments:

Post a Comment