Saturday, April 27, 2013

Madera Canyon

I had set aside Friday April 26th for a day at Madera Canyon, and the birders I'd met at Agua Caliente confirmed that there was little hope getting Rufous-capped Warbler at Florida Canyon. So I drove straight to the parking lots at the top of the canyon. There were lots of people there including many hikers. The birders were buzzing with news of sightings of trogons. I decided that I did nto want to hang around hoping for a glimpse of this often elusive bird, but instead would hike the 2.5 miles to Josephine Saddle. I had a good hike and saw Mexican Jay, Dusky-capped Flycatcher, Swainson's Thrush, Hutto's and Plumbeous Vireos, Hermit, Townsend's and Black-throated Gray Warblers  and Yellow-eyed Juncos on my way up.

Halfway back I ran into a female birder from Phoenix and started chatting. As soon as she said the word 'trogon', one suddenly appeared out of nowhere! This was the first of three male Elegant Trogons that saw in the next half an hour! These birds had been calling since my arrival but I felt lucky to see one bird. But three including the final one from the parking lot! I had seen this bird in Sonora and had heard them in the Chiracahuas, but this was my first ABA sighting. The walk back to the car also yielded Hepatic Tanager and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

Elegant Trogon

Next I parked at the Amphitheater and walked back to the Kubo. At the feeders I had Broad-billed, Magnificent and Black-Chinned Hummingbirds, Hooded and Scott's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeaks and Lazuli Buntings. But talking to someone there I also learned of a Gray Hawk nest further down the canyon.

Black-chinned Hummingbird
Broad-billed and broad-tailed Hummingbird
Black-headed Grosbeak

 I then hiked along the creek from the Amphitheater to the Picnic Area seeing Arizona Woodpecker and Rufous-crowned Sparrow on the hike, and finding the Gray Hawk on its nest. Hiking back I had a single male Wild Turkey at Santa Rita Lodge.

I was feeling tired and sleepy at this point but I stopped at the bottom of the canyon near the houses and picked up Rufous-winged Sparrow.

After returning to the hotel and the usual cuppa and short nap, I found nothing of note on the rare bird alert. So I stuck to my original plan of a trip to Reid Park for two target birds - Cassin's Kingbird and Black-crowned Night Heron, both of which I found easily.

Black-crowned Night-Heron

No comments:

Post a Comment