Saturday, April 27, 2013

Patagonia and Rio Rico

On Saturday April 27th I did the birder's loop to Nogales. My first stop was at Paton's where the main target was the east Violet-crowned Hummingbird. As ever Paton's did not disappoint and I added Bullock's Oriole, Summer Tanager, Pyrrhuloxia and Yellow-breasted Chat as well as a few other species including a pair of flyover Black Vultures. I also finally caught up with Ladder-backed Woodpecker! It was also interesting to see a very light, rufous Song Sparrow, apparently the norm for this part of the state and to see two very different looking White-throated Sparrows - one a bright individual like those I see in Chicago and like the one at V-bar-V earlier this year, but the other so much duller.

Brown Rat
Violet-crowned Hummingbird
Ladder-backed Woodpecker

My next stop was just down the road at the Patgonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve where I took a short hike down to and along the Creek Trail. I added three species including an unexpected Thick-billed Kingbird. This sighting meant that I did not need to look for the bird at Roadside Rest, but I did stop and, as usual for me, saw very little.

The next stop was at Kino Springs golf course where I was lucky enough to find a Zone-tailed Hawk soaring near the clubhouse. The water levels in the pond there was very low but did have a pair of 'Mexican Mallards'. There were many bids around including a pair of Vermillion Flycatchers and dozens of Lazuli Buntings working the fairways.My final stop was at Rio Rico where I found the expected Black-bellied Whistling Ducks as well as a single Cattle Egret. I then returned to the hotel feeling hot and tired.

Black-bellied Whistling Ducks

After a long nap I checked the rare bird alert and found something to chase, but sadly back at Aqua Caliente rather than anywhere new. I drove to the park to see a dozen Willets. This counted as a state bird for me, although quite possibly I had seen the bird in Arizona before but had not kept good records!

On Sunday April 28th I got up early and headed home via the Glendale Recharge Ponds where the draining of a pond had left some lovely shorebird habitat. I added Western Sandpiper and Wilson's Phalarope for the year, but again found no gulls. More disappointingly, the Least tern from the day before had turned out to be a one-day wonder. Strangely I saw yet another Willet.

Least Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment