Sunday, January 10, 2016

The East Rio and Koch Field

On Sunday January 10th I decided to try to get to 50 county birds for the year. With travel out of town on university business and a long weekend ahead this might be my last chance for a while. I did some homework on eBird and the listserve and headed out.

My first stop was a feeder on south campus that had been attracting Lesser Goldfinch. But the thistle sock was empty and I continued on to the East Rio with hopes of any of four sparrow species, Spotted Towhee .and Pinyon Jay. However the light quality was poor and except for a flock of 30-40 juncos I saw few birds in a 45 minute stay. Three American Wigeon flying over were new for 2016.

Heading back into town I detoured to do Rio Rancho Road, Stardust Trail and Koch Field Road and found a wet area with 200 Red-winged Blackbirds and a Song Sparrow in the reeds, and 9 Green-winged Teal and 3 Mallards in an area of open water. I was able to head home on 51 county birds although the day had not gone to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment