Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Bulgaria Day Ten - with a stop in Romania

Friday June 17th was my last day and we traveled from Srebarna across the Danube to my airport hotel in Bucharest in Romania. The heat had continued to build over the past few days and it reached 37C, 99F. A far cry from the cold of the first day of the trip.

We spent the morning back at the Srebarna preserve where eventually I had a good view of an adult Penduline Tit, mask and all. We enjoyed similar birds to the previous day and had our only Kingfisher of the trip. On the way out we finally found a cooperative Marsh Warbler singing from the top of some cow parsley. A life bird, my fifth such warbler of the trip - all looking similar to each other or to other more common species!

We then drove to the Bulgaria-Romania border where the border crossing was slow although there were few people at the crossing. We then headed to some fish pond and a lake around the village of Galita where I was able to add a final life bird for the trip. Caspian Gulls were mixed in with the now-familiar Yellow-legged Gulls, but for me only distinguishable when Daniel blew up photos on his camera to reveal dark and not pale irises. Somehow he could see minor variations in the birds along the lake shore. We also saw Rooks for the first time on the trip - three or four hundred of them - to give me 190 species and 40 lifers for the trip.

Yellow-legged Gulls

The circuit around the lake was memorable for the number of Bea Eaters, Rollers and Lesser Grey Shrikes perched on wires and for a number of Kestrels.

Lesser Grey Shrike

We then took the ferry across the Danube and made several stops along the river scanning the marsh terns in hope of a White-wing. No luck. We then found the motorway and headed to Bucharest where a bad traffic jam and misbehaving drivers reminded me of Malaysia in the early 1980s. Daniel dropped me off at Otopeni Airport around 5pm and I called the shuttle to be taken to my hotel for the night. I flew back to Stansted at noon the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment