Sunday, January 15, 2017

Tumacacori, Madera Canyon and Tucson

I started the day on Sunday January 15th at the pyracantha bushes on Santa Gertrudis Lane hoping to finally defeat my nemesis. But luck was with me and Jenny came by and told me exactly where she had seen it before, and then found it for me. I had chased Brown Thrasher all over the state for several years. Finally I ticked it off - although the views of the bird, on the ground half-hidden by branches was not the best.

After aborting an attempt to find the difficult Rose-throated Becard in Tubac, although I found Lark Sparrows and Chipping Sparrows at Tubac Presidio State Park I then searched, also without luck, for the Palm Warbler in Sahuarita.

My next stop was Madera Canyon, and I arrived in the rain with the Santa Rita feeders devoid of birds! But I was able to get my target birds - Yellow-eyed Junco, Mexican Jay, Bridled Titmouse and Arizona Woodpecker at Santa Rita, and Wild Turkey, Hepatic Tanager and Magnificent Hummingbird at the Kubo.

Bridled Titmouse
Magnificent Hummingbird

I then drove into Tucson and dipped on the Burrowing Owls at the usual spot. Water was coming out of their usual hiding places and they had clearly sought refuge elsewhere. I ended the day at Reid Park with Vermilion Flycatcher, Redhead and Black-crowned Night-Heron.

Vermilion Flycatcher
Redhead

But I had a surprise waiting for me at my hotel when three Cactus Wren greeted me at my doorstep!

No comments:

Post a Comment